he National Institute of Health indicates that are sedentary lifestyle is causing problems for many individuals. Adults in the United States are spending around 8 hours a day sitting in a chair. When you spend this much time in the chair you end up getting neck pain, back pain, and other types of pain.
This can be compounded if you’re sitting in an uncomfortable chair that doesn’t have the right support for your body. Many people have chairs that are simply uncomfortable and worn out. We tend to sit in an office chair with poor posture and this can be more of a problem when the chair doesn’t have the proper back support. When you sit for a long Time without proper back support you are going to experience pain throughout your body. You need a chair that has adjustable armrest, lumbar support, and other support to ensure that you were comfortable while you sit in your chair for a long time.
You should be getting up every 20 minutes to walk around even when you sit in an ergonomic chair. You need movement if you plan to sit in a chair for a long time. You can make use of a yoga ball, sitting stool, or just get up and go for a short walk. There are some desks now that will allow you to stand so you can work at the desk. All of these will help you feel better and reduce pain. In addition to this, you want to ensure that you have a high-quality ergonomic chair that is comfortable for those times when you need to sit down for an extended duration to do work.
What Features to look when buying an office Chair?
When looking for the proper office chair there are some features that you need to consider. You want to share that is going to give you the right support and help you maintain proper posture here are a few things you need to look for.
The Armrests Should Be Adjustable as Well as the Seat Height
You want to be able to sit so that your feet are on the floor and that the arms are at the height of the desk. You want your arms to be comfortable on the chair and the wrist has to be flat when you were typing so you reduce arm and finger pain. Make sure you find a chair that has the right adjustments.
Lumbar Support That Adjusts
You want lumbar support in your chair but you also want the support to be adjustable. If it is not adjustable it could be in the wrong position for you and you might experience pain. You want one that can be adjustable according to the depth, height, and so on.
When you sit in a chair for a long duration you can experience a lot of heat and temperature build up. You want a chair that has a mesh back because this allows your body to breathe and it will Wick away moisture from your body so you stay cooler. I mesh back will also Flex more and can form around your body.
Proper Seat Depth
You also don’t want to share that is going to support the seat of your body properly. Look for a chair that has good seat depth. A chair with a proper seat is also going to help your back.
Best Office Chair for Back Pain
Here are some suggestions for ergonomic chairs that you might want to consider for your home or office environment.
Flash Furniture High Back Office Chair with Adjustable Arms
- The armrests and the seat are adjustable
- You get mesh support for the back
- Easy chair to put together
- Has padded armrests
- Some users found this chair to be uncomfortable
- There were some quality control issues with some products
This is a basic ergonomic office chair. It has limited support adjustments but it is still quite comfortable. You can adjust the seat and the armrest but these adjustments are a little limited. The armrests are padded so they will support your arms quite comfortably. It’s an easy chair to put together so you shouldn’t have much difficulty with it. On the downside some users found the chair to be a little bit uncomfortable in some cases. Some people that purchases chair had quality control issues when they purchased their product. For those that want a simple inexpensive office chair for your back pain, this chair will provide that for you.
Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair
- The armrest and the seat are adjustable
- You get basic lumbar support
- You can adjust the back of the chair so you remain comfortable
- Features mesh construction on the back so you stay cool
- Adjustment options on the chair are limited
- No mesh on the seat cushion
- Those that were tall found the chair to be a little bit uncomfortable for them
This is another basic ergonomic chair for your home or office. Its main advantage is that it has a mesh back which will help keep you cool. You can make some adjustments such as the seat or the back support but there is no full ergonomic adjustment support with the chair. You will be able to adjust the seat and the armrest to a height that you prefer for added to the comfort. On the downside individuals that were taller than normal found the chair to be a bit uncomfortable. Other negatives are that there is no mesh on the seat cushion so you may feel a little hot while sitting in the chair in the seat area.
Ergonomic Office Chair – Support Over 300Ibs
- The armrest in the seat of this chair is adjustable
- You get lumbar support in the back thanks to the mesh design
- It comes with a headrest
- There is a 5-year warranty
- Some people had quality control issues when they purchased the product
- This chair is not suited for people that are tall
- A bit overpriced for what you receive
This office chair is a basic office chair to ease your back pain. It features minimal adjustments in a seat and the armrest. There is minimal lumbar support for your back because it has a mesh design. The material will also help keep you cool and wick away moisture. You do get a headrest to support your neck and you get a 5-year warranty so you can return the chair if something is wrong with it. On the downside, individuals had issues with quality control when they received the chair. Some people that were tall also found the chair to be a bit uncomfortable for their needs. This chair is also a little bit more expensive than it should be for what you receive.
Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair with Headrest
- Back adjustments with tilt lock
- Cylinder allows the chair to be raised and lowered fast
- Headrest, seat, and back are adjustable to accommodate your needs
- Some individuals had problems with the seat of this chair
- Some found that the back support was not adequate for their needs
- Some had problems with quality control when they received their product
This office chair offers more adjustments than other ones on our list. You get back adjustments with the chair and it has a tilt lock. It’s easy to raise and lower the chair with the cylinder so you can get it into a comfortable position quickly. There are multiple adjustments for the back, seat, and headrest which make it more comfortable than other chairs. On the downside, some had problems with the seat not being as comfortable as they would like or that the back support was not quite as adequate as other chairs.
Herman Miller Sayl Chair
- Features a frameless suspension for the back which gives you good support and allows you to move freely
- The breathable back will keep you cool while you are working
- The chair is minimally designed so there’s less impact on the environment
- The seat and arms have adjustments
- Some users found the chair to be too small for their needs
- The breathable back on the chair has no other support so this may break over time
- Some found the chair to be too uncomfortable
This Herman Miller office chair is a unique design with a full mesh back. The back is breathable so you will stay cool as you are working. You get support from the back mesh so you should stay comfortable while in this chair. The chair features a minimal design so there is less impact on the environment. The arms of the chair are also adjustable. On the downside some found this chair to be a little bit too small to meet their current requirements. The back of the chair is fully meshed but there are no other supports so this mesh may not last a long time. Some people that sat in his chair said that it was too uncomfortable for them.
Herman Miller Aeron Chair
- The chair is made out of recycled materials
- You get full ergonomic support with the seating and the back
- It will fit individuals up to 300 pounds
- The arms are adjustable and it has carpet casters
- There is tension adjustment in the seat and pressure distribution
- You get balance and natural motion through this chair
- Some found the chair too uncomfortable for them
This Herman Miller ergonomic office chair has good design and you get the ergonomic support that you need to be comfortable. It is one of the most commonly seen ergonomic chair in the market! It is suitable for individuals up to 300 pounds. The arms are adjustable and it has carpet casters so you can move the chair from one room to the other with ease. You get pressure distribution in the seat and there is tension adjustment. You will have a natural and balanced emotion when you are sitting in this chair. On the downside, some buyers had quality control issues when they purchase the chair and some found the chair to be too uncomfortable to meet their current needs
For a detailed review about this Aero Chair, please refer to this article.
Herman Miller Embody Chair
- Designed to help individuals that’s it for more than 4 hours a day. Helps you improve your focus and enhances your health
- Has adjustable seat depth, tilt limiter, graphite base, fully adjustable arms, carpet casters, and a solid frame
- Chair fabric won’t promote heat buildup
- Comes with a 12-year warranty
- Comes fully assembled when you purchase
- Some found the chair to be too uncomfortable
This office chair by Herman Miller features a unique design. It has adjustable arms, seat depth, and a tilt limiter to help you stay comfortable. The fabric in this chair doesn’t promote heat buildup. It has carpet casters so you can move it across various surfaces with ease. One of the best parts of the chair is it comes fully assembled. You also get a 12-year warranty when you purchase. The chair is designed for individuals that sit for long duration and need a comfortable seat. On the downside, some individuals said that the chair was a little bit too uncomfortable for their needs. Others had problems quality control when they purchased but you are covered by the warranty so you should refer to the manufacturer if you have a problem with your chair.
Herman Miller Mirra 2 Chair
- The chair is lightweight
- You can adjust the seat, arms, and other features
- The mesh back is breathable so you stay comfortable and it will wick away moisture
- You get a butterfly back which gives you ergonomic support
- Comes with a 12-year warranty
- Some had problems with the mesh breaking on them during use
For those looking for an ergonomic chair for the home or office, this chair gives you plenty of options. It has carpet casters so you can move it with ease and it is adjustable in the arms and seat. You get ergonomic back support with the chair and it features a mesh design so you will stay cool and comfortable while you are sitting in the chair. You get a 12-year warranty when you purchase this product. Some individuals did find a chair to be a little bit uncomfortable but since you’ve covered by the warranty you shouldn’t have much problem with it.
Steelcase Gesture Chair
- This gesture chair was designed and based upon the actual movement of the human body so you get plenty of comforts when you were sitting in the chair
- It is designed to help you interact with your body
- The seat on this chair is adjustable and it features simple adjustments
- It features armrests to help keep your arms comfortable as you work
- The chair adjusts to your spine while you are sitting
- Some found the chair to be uncomfortable
- The ideal office chair for taller individuals
If you’re looking for a unique chair for your home office or for your regular office, this might be the chair for you. This chair features easy adjustments and it has an ergonomic back which will help keep you comfortable as you work. The chair also has adjustable armrests so your arms will be comfortable while you are working. The Gesture chair mimics the movement of the human body so you stay as comfortable as possible while you were sitting in the chair. It will adjust to your spine while you were sitting in it for maximum Comfort. On the downside some found this chair to be too uncomfortable and they had quality control issues when they purchased. This chair might not be suitable for taller individuals as the chair is a little on the small side.
Herman Miller Cosm Chair
- This chair conforms to your body with its ergonomic design
- The arms are adjustable
- The chair will automatically adjust to give you the right support that you need based upon your posture
- The chair is breathable so you will stay comfortable while you sit in it
- It will to each person’s body type and give you the spinal support you need
- The frame is strong
- You get a 12-year warranty
- While the chair is adjustable it might not adjust in the way that you needed to do
If you need a fully ergonomic chair for your home office or regular work environment, this is the chair that you are going to want to use to ease your back problems. The arms on the chair are adjustable and it will provide you with total support for your body. There are no other adjustments on this chair to make as it will conform to your body when you sit in it. The back is breathable so you will stay comfortable and it will wick away moisture from your body. You get the spinal support you need with this chair. The frame on a chair is very strong and you also get a 12-year warranty when you purchase. On the downside to some had issues with the Cosm chair not being quite as comfortable as they would like.